Sunday, August 23, 2015

Week 9 Power Rankings and Week 10 Picks

Week 9 Power Rankings


1. Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Not many will disagree with this one at this point. The knock on Hamilton this week was that they hadn't played well on the road. Well, they went on the road and not only beat Edmonton, but hammered them, no pun intended. Gotta be nice for Tiger-Cats fans not to have to worry about their usual early season swoon. 

2. Calgary Stampeders

I almost started this week's note on the Stampeders in the exact same way I started last week's. They still find ways of getting things done, and they're starting to get things on track as well after a slow start (for them, anyway). 

3. Toronto Argonauts

Another team that finds ways of getting things done, the Argos have had a boatload (sorry, I swear the puns will stop soon) of close games, but the Argos always seem to do just enough to get things done. 

4. Edmonton Eskimos

I just don't trust their offense to be able to handle the tougher defenses in the league. Matt Nichols seems to be on the hot seat at this point, and the defense can only do so much to prop the offense up. Their schedule won't do them many favors either over the next month or so. 

5. Montreal Alouettes

This pick surprised myself even as I made it. The defense is lights out, and although I find it hard to believe this, especially given the turmoil in Montreal lately, they have outscored their opponents so far this season. If they can find some stability, they may be the surprise team of the second half. 

6. Ottawa REDBLACKS

Ottawa seems to have some pieces in place to make a run, but they have to fix the penalties and the special teams, which cost them today's game in Toronto. 

7. Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Coming off the bye, they host Calgary and then head into the Labour Day-Banjo Bowl matchup with Saskatchewan. If they intend to stay in the race, they have to make some noise, and soon. 

8. BC Lions

The more I see them (and I see less of them than other teams due to some of the late starts they have during the week), the less I'm seeing out of them. Losing Elimimian will hurt the defense, no matter what they do to try to cover for it, and Travis Lulay isn't yet making teams respect the passing game, killing Andrew Harris's effectiveness of late. 

9. Saskatchewan Roughriders

Obviously, they'll bring up the rear for a while, but oddly enough, they have a better point differential (points for - points against) than 4-4 Ottawa, 3-5 Winnipeg, and 3-5 BC. Not that it helps them any at this point, and their points against are the highest in the league. 

Week 10 Picks


Montreal at Hamilton

As much as I've changed my mind on Montreal this week, going into Hamilton will be too much for them. I expect a closer game than most expect, but Hamilton will come out on top. 

Toronto at Edmonton

The Argos have been masters of the close game this season, but I think on the road in Edmonton, it'll be just a bit too much, as their 4th quarter rally will fall short against the Edmonton D. I don't expect many points here. 

Calgary at Winnipeg

Winnipeg gave the Stamps a scare in Calgary, but I think the Stamps will be too much for the Bombers this week, and it will get out of hand in the 4th quarter. 

Saskatchewan at Ottawa

I have a hunch that Saskatchewan may do it, but I'm not going to play that hunch. I have to see a win out of them before I take the risk. Ottawa in a thriller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment