Monday, August 17, 2015

Meet an American CFL Fan #1

I know I'm not the only American CFL fan out there, and I want to hear from others! This is post one of hopefully a long series on other American CFL fans. Today's post is about Brandon, a newly minted CFL fan from New England. If you want to be a part of this series, reach out to me at @usfltecmo on Twitter or email me at usfltecmo AT hotmail DOT com.

1. Thanks for agreeing to do this interview for us today. To start off, tell us a bit about yourself!

I am a 31 year old husband & a father of 1. We have two dogs. For hobbies, I love sports, music & video games. I am a die-hard 49ers and Red Sox fan. I like to run and eat.

2. What attracted you to the CFL?

Over the winter, I just happened to catch that ESPN resigned a deal with the CFL & that all games would be available by either ESPN2 or ESPN3. I love football - I always have - so I looked into whether there were any CFL fantasy football options like there are for the NFL. That's when I found the fantaseh site and the New Rouge Radio podcast. Once I figured out how the fantasy league would work, I asked some of my buddies that I have done NFL fantasy football w/ for the past 11 years if they would be interested in trying out CFL fantasy. Everyone I asked said yes and the rest is history.

3. What do you like about the CFL? Anything you dislike?

I love almost everything about it. 
The small league means all teams play each other several times which makes all the games feel much more personal. Its exciting because w/ only 3-downs, teams have to be more aggressive & possession changes quite a bit. I also love that games are not on at the same time so you have the opportunity to watch every game, every week.

4. Do you have a favorite team? How about favorite players?

My favorite team is the Montreal Alouettes. I tried to make the Winnipeg Blue Bombers my favorite team by choice but Montreal happened more naturally through the better part of the 1st half of the season. My favorite players are SJ Green (most exciting player in the league, imo), Andrew Harris (all around great football player) & Chris Williams (the other most exciting player in the league, imo)

5. Ever made a trip to a game? If so, how was the experience?

Not yet. I live a few hours out of Montreal. The plan is to make at least 2 Montreal games every year. My brother went with Hamilton so we will at least go up for Hamilton and then we will go for whatever. 

6. What kind of reaction do you get from fellow Americans when you tell them you follow the CFL?

People blow it off. No one wants to give it any kind of chance. Its frustrating because it is quality football. I feel like everyone would love it if they only gave it a chance.

7. Anything else you'd like to share?

Through 8 weeks, I have absolutely fallen in love with the CFL. It has become my favorite professional sport and I don't hesitate to let all of my American buddies know it. 

8. How can others get in touch with you to talk CFL? 

@Brandonsaurus64 (on Twitter)

No comments:

Post a Comment