Sunday, August 16, 2015

Week 8 Power Rankings and Week 9 Picks

Let's talk a little football today, shall we?


Week 8 Power Rankings


1. Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Hamilton has put together two dominant performances in a row at home, are on a four game winning streak, and they are clicking in all facets of the game. I can't think of a single team that would match up well against them the way they are playing right now.

2. Calgary Stampeders

This is the Calgary Stampeders team we expected to see coming into the season. The Stamps had been squeaking by their victims until this past week, but finally put together a complete game last night. They have road games against Saskatchewan and Winnipeg, and if they're the team I think they are, they will be on a roll heading into the Labour Day Classic against Edmonton.

3. Edmonton Eskimos

I'll admit, I almost put Toronto here, but Edmonton has only given up more than 17 points twice this season. The reason they're not higher is that I don't trust the offense to put up a lot of points either, especially since they have multiple games against Hamilton and Calgary, as well as Toronto over the next five weeks. I'm confident I'll have Edmonton higher or lower after that, but I'm not quite sure which yet. 

4. Toronto Argonauts

You want excitement? Put on a Toronto Argos game. Most of their games this year have been nail biters, We're due to get some answers in the East soon, as Toronto has two games with both Ottawa and Hamilton coming up, as well as a visit to Edmonton.

5. Ottawa REDBLACKS

Being 4-3 at this point after facing Edmonton and Calgary twice already would be impressive for most teams, but considering this is a team that was 2-16 team last year? Wow. They've also won the season series with Montreal, so the playoffs are a definite possibility. What worries me about them is that when they lose, it's usually by a lot, whereas they scrape by during their wins. A sign of a team that knows how to win, or a team that has caught some luck early on? I'm not sure, so 5th feels about right.

6. BC Lions

Draw a line above the Lions and under the REDBLACKS. I believe there to be a significant gap between the group above the line and the group below the line. I debated long and hard between BC and Winnipeg at 6, as both teams are very inconsistent as of late, but the nod goes to BC, because I have more faith in the BC offense and special teams than I do Winnipeg's.

7. Winnipeg Blue Bombers

There is a bit of hope again in Winnipeg, as Robert Marve put up a good performance in his first start, giving some hope that the Bombers aren't completely lost without Drew Willy. The Labour Day-Banjo Bowl back to back with Saskatchewan and the next game against Montreal will go a long way towards a potential rebound, if not, it's going to be a long season in Bomberville.

8. Montreal Alouettes

A three game losing streak and locker room drama have turned a once-promising season on its ear. The defense continues to impress, but the offense simply can't keep up lately. 

9. Saskatchewan Roughriders

If we had the ability to replay this season a hundred times, none of the replays would likely be as bad for the Riders as this season has been. They can't catch a break, and now it seems that they are shedding veterans on a weekly basis in order to play younger players. It's the smart move for the long run. For this season? I can't imagine it will be a fun finish for the Riders. 

Week 9 Picks


Montreal at BC

I have BC in a low-scoring affair. I don't see either team scoring more than 20 points in this one, and it's going to be one big play in the 3rd quarter that will turn this game for BC. 

Hamilton at Edmonton

I know Commonwealth is a hard place for any away team to play in, and Edmonton has a great defense, but I can't pick against Hamilton when they're on this type of roll. The offense will struggle a bit to score this week, but I can't imagine the defense doesn't make at least two huge plays against Edmonton quarterbacks (whichever one they choose) to turn the tide of this one. 

Calgary at Saskatchewan

Calgary is on a roll, and Saskatchewan isn't. Mosaic Stadium isn't scaring anyone this year, and I don't think this one will be all that close, even if Saskatchewan's offense has a good game. Calgary in this one.

Ottawa at Toronto

I'm going with the Argos in this one. I believe these teams are very evenly matched, and when I'm in that much doubt, I default to taking the home team. 


No comments:

Post a Comment