Thursday, October 22, 2015

Worst to First?

I was listening to a great CFL podcast (there's a shocker for you) called the 2 and Out CFL Podcast today, and there was a brief discussion of Ottawa possibly going from worst team in the league to first place in their division. I've been looking for something interesting to blog about for some time now, although time hasn't been my friend lately, and figured that'd make a heck of a post.

I took a quick run through all the yearly standings from 1958 (the first year the league was officially the CFL) to the present, and what I found was actually a bit shocking to me. For all those seasons, for how few teams are in the league, and how fast the league can change, I found that only three teams had the worst record in the league one year and won their division (as in hosting the division final, a few teams lost tiebreakers for first, I did not count these teams) the next season. Of those, all three made it to the Grey Cup, but all three lost. Of them, only one ended up with the best record in the league after finishing with the worst record the year before.

The teams in question are the 1982 Toronto Argonauts (2-14 finish in 1981, 9-6-1 in 1982), the 1998 Hamilton Tiger-Cats (2-16 in 1997, 12-5-1 in 1998, best in the league), and the 2011 Winnipeg Blue Bombers (4-14 in 2010, 10-8 in 2011).

There you have it. I feel a little smarter now, and hopefully you do too.




No comments:

Post a Comment